In order to meet the requirements of this bill, Oklahoma school districts and the Oklahoma State Department of Education will revert to the PASS (Priority Academic Student Skills) standards for curriculum and assessments (p.18-19) until assessments aligned to yet-to-be-developed, new academic standards are implemented (p.18).
The PASS standards are available for Pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade below:
477 kBPreKindergarten PASS standards for ELA
Furthermore, the bill sets an expectation for the Oklahoma State Board of Education to consult with the State Regents for Higher Education, the State Board of Career and Technology Education, and the Oklahoma Department of Commerce to adopt college- and career-ready academic standards for English/language arts by August 1st, 2016 (p.17). Academic standards will continue to undergo a six-year revision cycle and, beginning with the 2014-2015 school year, revisions adopted by the Oklahoma State Board of Education will be subject to legislative review and approval.
Additional requirements include:
- “All students shall gain literacy at the elementary and secondary levels.” (p.7)
- “[Students] also shall learn about cultures and environments – their own and those of others with whom they share the earth.” (p.7)
- “The subject matter standards for English Language Arts shall give Classic Literature and nonfiction literature equal consideration to other literature. In addition, emphasis shall be given to the study of complete works of literature.” (p.7)
- “…the State Board of Education shall seek certification from the State Regents for Higher Education that the subject matter standards for English Language Arts and Mathematics which were in place prior to the revisions adopted by the Board in June 2010 are college- and career-ready as defined in the Federal Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Flexibility document issued by the United States Department of Education… The State Regents shall provide the Board a detailed description of the certification process and results, including a list of deficiencies if the State Regents conclude that the standards are not college- and career-ready.” (p.18-19)
- “…the State Board of Education, in consultation with the State Regents for Higher Education, the State Board of Career and Technology Education and the Oklahoma Department of Commerce, shall direct the process of the development of annual high-quality statewide student assessments for English Language Arts…” (p.19)
Implications for ELAOKTeachers.com
This site was designed by Oklahoma teachers to distribute materials and support the implementation of the Common Core State Standards for English/language arts. All resources to this date were designed to be aligned to Common Core academic standards.
ELAOKTeachers.com will continue to support teachers with:
- resources created by Oklahoma classroom teachers,
- information regarding Oklahoma education,
- and opportunities for professional development.
The Standards page will be updated to reflect the PASS standards and the resources created to this date will remain as reference materials. New materials will be created by the 2014 ELAOK Convening committee. Submissions from all teachers are still welcome. This site will continue to grow so long as teachers are interested in connecting, sharing, and collaborating on solutions for education.
As details become available, updates will be posted to the ELAOK community via this site and the Facebook group.