About How I Teach
There is a lot to learn from each other. How I Teach is a segment of ELAOKTeachers.com determined to highlight the best practices of innovative Oklahoma educators.
School: Deer Creek High School
Subjects or Responsibilities: Pre-AP English 2, Creative Writing 1, 2, and Student Council
Professional Organizations: Executive Board Member, Oklahoma Council of Teachers of English | Certified Teacher Consultant, Oklahoma Writing Project
One word that best describes how you teach: Student-centered
Class rules:  Work hard.  Be nice.
Below are excerpts and linked shortcuts. Click on the question to watch Mr. Stephenson’s response to each question or watch the full interview here.
- How is your classroom organized?
- How do you relate to your students? I try to share the learning process with them. When I assign an essay, I write the essay first. I think that really helps with establishing trust and establishing respect…
- What apps/tools/resources can’t you teach without? Classroom Organizer…
- What’s your best time-saving trick? When grading papers, don’t mark all the grammatical techniques. Instead, use the “dot” technique…
- What are you currently reading?
- Are you more of an introvert of an extrovert? Introvert…
- What’s your best classroom management story or technique?
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever received? You got to be friends with your students…
Fill in the blanks
- I’d love to meet Penny Kittle for coffee and talk about writing.
- My definition of creativity is “hard work”. Creativity is in danger right now…
- I’d love to see Donalyn Miller answer these same questions.