The Fifth Annual Sequoyah Book Award Week kicks-off this September with lessons and activities in The Oklahoman and online at https://nie.newsok.com/sequoyah-week-2016/!
If you’re not already registered with the Newspapers in Education program at The Oklahoman, register by August 31 so you’ll get your Sequoyah Masterlist posters and lesson plans. (If you’re registered, no worries!) Here’s your reminder, and here’s the scoop…
To participate, sign up by August 31 for The Oklahoman‘s Newspapers in Education (NIE) program at http://nieonline.com/theoklahoman/order.cfm
- 30 free 11″ x 22 1/2″ two-sided newspaper wraps/posters promoting the 2017 Sequoyah Book Award reading masterlists (delivered in October; take a look at the poster at: http://libraries.ok.gov/PDFs/Sequoyah-Awards-wrap-2017.pdf)
NOTE: If you cannot get The Oklahoman via home delivery in your area: contact Bailey Huntsman [BHuntsman@oklahoman.com] and request that a set of the Sequoyah posters be mailed to you.
- Online access to four print ads that will run in the newspaper the week of September 12 (plus access to online lesson extensions):
- September 12 — Program ideas and activities for the High School masterlist
- September 13 — Ideas for the Intermediate masterlist
- September 14 — Activities to support the Children’s masterlist
- September 15 — Promoting the Sequoyah Book Award reading program in your school and library; and bonus activities for the Donna Norvell Book Award title, The Adventures of Beetle: The Unimaginary Friend.
- Online access to daily print replicas of The Oklahoman and access to The Oklahoman archives for the whole school year!
This NIE program is open to school libraries and school classrooms statewide! ODL will provide the posters directly to Oklahoma public libraries. OLA will also have copies of the posters, as well as 2017 masterlist bookmarks, at Encyclo-Media, October 4-5. OLA’s Sequoyah committees have joined with NIE, the Oklahoma Department of Libraries, the Oklahoma Library Association, and the Institute of Museum and Library Services to fund this promotion.
Hurry! Register to receive the ideas and activities. Plus, NIE needs a count to determine poster quantities for October delivery. NIE Registration form: http://nieonline.com/theoklahoman/order.cfm
Need more info on the Sequoyah Book Award and reading program? Start here: http://www.oklibs.org/?page=01Sequoyah.